The Self-Government Department has three main focus areas:
2) Whitecap Dakota Constitution
3) Whitecap Dakota Governance Code
Whitecap Dakota Constitution
The Whitecap Dakota Constitution will serve as the supreme written law of the Whitecap Dakota Nation, replacing the Whitecap Dakota Band Council, which is established through the Indian Act. By replacing the Indian Act with our own systems and authorities, it will allow the Whitecap Dakota Nation to be strengthened through strong governance and will support and legitimize the Self-Government Agreement.
Whitecap Dakota First Nation Council and staff have worked with numerous community groups, including the elders, to ensure that the aspirations and unique desires of the Whitecap Dakota Nation are included. Most recently, in August 2019, staff and Council worked with the Advisory Committees to review the current constitution development process. We will continue to work with the community with further workshops and opportunity for input in the coming months. The Whitecap Dakota Constitution will:
- Serve as WDFN’s founding law which asserts its inherent right and implements the self-governance agreement with Canada Establish and provide legitimacy for the Whitecap Dakota First Nation Governance Agreement
- Describe the beliefs, principles and values that guide our Nation Describe our government, our power and authority
- Honour and uphold Dakota traditional ways of life to best promote the welfare of the community and future generations of WDFN
- Serve as a framework for governance and describes how decisions will be made
- Establish how laws will be enforced and how disputes will be resolved
- Be a vital building block for continued sustainable economic development and self-sufficiency
Whitecap Dakota Governance Code
The Whitecap Dakota Governance Code is currently being developed in consultation with the community, committees and Council. The Code outlines the structure and composition of the Whitecap Dakota Government, the Code of Conduct, Duties, Accountabilities and Powers of Council, Procedures Relating to Council, and Law-making Processes and Procedures. In the coming months, work will continue on the development of the Governance Code in consultation with the community, elders, committees and staff.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 306-477-0908